Do you know my inspiration behind this recipe for the beaten-rice yogurt mango parfait? Believe it or not, it is from an Indian dish I ate as a child.
The humble poha (beaten-rice) or choora is a staple in most rice-producing regions of India. Mostly eaten as savoury, an interesting sweet version with yogurt is consumed in Bihar (a state in eastern India). Long before the days of rolled oats and granola bowls, choora dahi (beaten-rice yogurt) or aam choora (mango beaten-rice) used to be our morning fuel – pure, healthy and satiating. After so many years, even today when I crave a quick, soulful breakfast, I fix myself a bowl of this beaten-rice and yogurt yumminess and double up on the mango layer during summers.
This combination of cool yogurt, beaten-rice, and thick mango puree along with some thandai powder, while being delish is also great for your gut, skin and immunity. Scroll down to see how easy it is to whip up this parfait version of the humble wonder from my homeland. Let me know how you enjoy the beaten-rice yogurt mango parfait in your comments below.
And for more parfait recipes don’t forget to check out this perfect start for your morning.
- Ripe mango- 1 large, peeled and pulped
- Full fat yogurt-1 cup
- Beaten rice (poha)- ½ cup
- Thandai powder (optional)- 1 tablespoon (Recipe for thandai powder:https://onewholesomemeal.com/2017/07/04/thandai-masala/)
- Blend the mangoes to make a smooth puree
- Rinse the poha in a wide rimmed strainer under running water for a minute. If the desired texture is extremely soft then rinse for a minute longer although crisp poha tastes much better; the yogurt/mango puree tend to soften it to an extent as well.
- Layer yogurt,poha and mango puree in that order, top it with some thandai powder and enjoy!
Calories per portion- 170 Nutrition- Protein punch/Good fat/ Vitamins C, A /Fiber It does wonders for your- Gut/Bowels/Skin/Immunity/Vision/Bones This is “My 8am Meal”
chefkresoJuly 9, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Looks really refreshing must be a real crowdpleaser 😀
onewholesomemealJuly 9, 2017 at 8:12 pm
Thanks chefkreso! It sure is 🙂
Mango Milkshake | Healthy Options – OneWholesomeMealNovember 3, 2020 at 5:39 pm
[…] Beaten Rice-Yogurt-Mango Parfait […]