Because it is 31 degrees and air con is not my best friend, a natural cooler is an absolute must. Long before colas and brightly coloured drinks adulterated our lives, Thandai- the drink of the Gods soothed parched throats during the infamous summer of the Indian subcontinent.
Mixed with creamy milk and a dash of sugar or honey, this mixture of almonds, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, mixed melon seeds, pepper, cardamom, saffron and rose petals, thandai is more than just a cooler. While the nuts are an instant energy source and reservoir of good fats , saffron and rose petals, instant coolers ,black pepper aids digestion and prevents the body from cooling off a tad too much. It is hard to say in which part of ancient history this drink was first sipped but it is fascinating how so much thought went into putting this together, one of the many examples of the science behind Indian food and culture. And yet we look the other way when it comes to appreciating all encompassing goodness of Indian cuisine. I look forward to the day when Indian cuisine will get its due in the health industry and amongst the fit and healthy. On that note, here is the recipe for this delicious power protein mix/cooler. For best results, I recommend preparing a small batch, refrigerating and consuming within two weeks. It is incredibly easy to prepare and takes less than five minutes 🙂 Cheers!
- Almonds - 1/2 cup
- Cashew Nuts - 1/2cup
- Black peppercorn - 10-15
- Small cardamom - 15
- Poppy seeds - 1 tablespoon
- Fennel seeds - 1 tablespoon
- Melon seeds - 2 tablespoons
- Saffron - 10 strands
- Dry rose petals or buds - 1 tablespoon
- Combine all the ingredients and blendin a high speed blend for 30 seconds. The ingredients should achieve a powder consistency for easy mixing with milk. Refrigerate in an air tight container.
- To consume, mix 1 tablespoon in 1 cup of chilled milk (cow/almond/soy), add a dash of honey or palm sugar and drink right away
Calories per glass of thandai- 74 Nutrition- Good fat/High fiber/ Protein punch/Vitamins E,K, B6/Phosphorous It does wonders for your-Skin, Hair, Gut, Joints, Ovaries, Bones, Nerves, Heart,Immunity,Sleep This is “My 8am/3 pm Meal”