As much as I love cooking, there are days when I just do not have the energy(thanks to the two little monkeys) to toil in the kitchen for more than twenty minutes. For times like these, I make it a point to stock up my refrigerator with as much fresh produce as possible so that lazy times do not equate to junk times and all I need to do for a quick healthy meal is boil some whole grain pasta, noodle or brown and wild rice, top it with some fresh produce and voila! My yummy 15-minute meal is ready! This citrus brown and wild rice citrus salad is one such quick-fix meal. Try it for yourself and you would keep coming back for more 🙂
- Brown and wild rice (cooked as per package instructions; for additional flavor cook in chicken broth)- 1 cup
- Cherry tomatoes- 1 cup
- Medium sized oranges-2 (one for juice(3/4 cup)and the other peeled and kept aside for salad)
- Almond slivers-1/2 cup
- Fresh mint chopped fine-½ cup
- Spring onion chopped fine-½ cup
- Green peas or edamame- ½ cup
- Lime juice- 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil-1 teaspoon
- Salt and pepper-1/4 teaspoon each or to taste
- For the citrus dressing:
- Combine all wet ingredients (freshly squeezed orange juice,lime juice, olive oil) in a bowl and mix well. Top it with fresh mint leaves, salt and pepper and mix.
- For the salad:
- Combine cooled rice and vegetables in a large bowl. Add the dressing and stir to combine. Let the salad sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, top with almond slivers and spring onions and serve.
Calories per portion- 180 Nutrition- Protein punch/Good fat/ High fiber/Vitamins A, C, B6, K/Magnesium/Copper It does wonders for your- Gut/Bowels/Sleep/Skin/Immunity/Brain This is “My 1pm Meal”