Bliss balls or energy balls are not a novelty. There are all types and kinds , and yet there are so many new and variety of options possible. Whenever I am rushed and want to fix a quick dessert which will keep well for a week, I make one or the other kind of energy balls. Some of our family favourites are coconut-dates , coconut, apricot-pistachio and almond-turmeric bliss balls. They are perfect take along quick snack and super filling and healthy too!
This time however I had some flaxseed meal at hand and hard as it is to find items like these on the grocery aisle these days,I wanted to use them asap. The key ingredients that I used where:
- Almond Meal – I used the store bought blanched almond meal but you can also make it at home in advance like so
- Flaxseed Meal- Just blend a few cups of flaxseed in a blender to make this or just buy off the shelf
- Pitted Medjool Dates- These are the soft variety of dates available easily in any supermarket. If for some reason you are unable to lay your hands on these, you can sue regular dates; soak the regular dates in some warm water for 20-30 minus still they are soft , then drain and blend
- Pistachios- These again, I dry roasted them to bring out the nuttiness, then cooled and blended them to a powder.
I also added some freshly pounded black pepper and sea salt along with a tablespoon of pure vanilla extract for flavour.
Most bliss ball recipes involve throwing in all the ingredients together into a high speed blender and blending them all together. However for this recipe I blended each ingredient (apart from the already blended ones of course) separately and then brought them all together one last time before shaping them into desired sized balls.
- Almond Meal- 1 cup
- Flaxseed Meal- 1/4 cup
- Pistachios, toasted and powdered- 3/4 cup and some extra for coating the bliss balls
- Pitted Medjool Dates, coarsely chopped- 12-15
- Coarsely pounded black pepper- 1/2 tbsp
- Sea salt- 1 tsp
- Pure Vanilla Extract- 1tbsp
- Coconut oil to grease hands
- Dry roast the pistachios in a heavy bottomed pan on medium high flame for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously , then cool down and keep aside; blend to a fine powder once cool
- Blend the dates till they are smooth and clumpy
- To the above blender jar add almond, pistachio, flaxseed meals, black pepper, pure vanilla extract and blend one final time till combined; you would need to scrape the sides of the jar a few times
- Invert the contents into a bowl and using your clean hands give it one final mix , pressing the mixture between your fingers as you go
- Grease your hands with some coconut oil and form the mixture into desired sized balls
- Coat the balls with pistachio powder if desired
- Store in an airtight container in a cool and dry place and consume within a week