I did not get the memo 📝 ! I should have known that being a food blogger on Instagram gets especially injurious to health come festivities. Every second picture on my feed is a mithai! How on earth is someone with a major sweet tooth try and stay off sugar?
But it is festival time. And the pictures weren’t helping. So, I decided to be a bit kind to myself. My husband had a work trip to India. Perfect timing, right? I got my husband to get 5 boxes of mithai on his way back from India. Now, while I was waiting for the precious parcel to be delivered, I thought of treating myself (and the kids of course ;)) to some healthy desserts. Hence these coconut, dates, and almond energy balls.
They are extremely easy to whip up and even easier to gulp down, as these energy balls are refined sugar-free and therefore guilt-free too. I made two versions – one with raw cacao and one without. Both were equally delicious. Apart from being great energy boosters, they also make great lunch box snacks for kids. Here is the recipe which was inspired by Natasha Minocha’s Coconut Almond Rose Bliss Balls recipe.
- Dates- 12
- Desiccated coconut- ½ cup
- Almond meal (see here for an easy almond meal recipe - http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-diy-almo-14350)- ½ cup
- Pistachio and Almonds (chopped fine)- 6-8 each kind
- White Sesame seeds (dry roasted)- 2 tablespoons
- Vanilla or Rose essence (as per preferred flavor preference)- 1 teaspoon
- Raw cacao- 2 tablespoons
- Coconut oil- 1 tablespoon
- Soak the pitted dates in lukewarm water for 15-20 minutes to soften them for ease of blending
- Drain the water and reserve.Combine all ingredients in a high power blender to form a smooth paste. If chocolate flavor is not preferred, exclude the raw cacao
- To the blended mixture, add 1-tablespoon coconut oil and mix well. If the mixture seems too wet add more almond meal/desiccated coconut or if it is too dry add a teaspoon or two of the water reserved in step 2
- Form into small balls and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. These yummy delights keep well for 10-15 days in the refrigerator
Calories (per ball)- 20 Nutrition-Calcium/ Iron/Manganese/ Magnesium/Phosphorous/Copper/Vitamin B Complex It does wonders for your- Energy/Hair/Skin/Immunity/ Cardiovascular health/Sleep/Gut/Anemia This is “My 10am/3pm Meal