Healthy energy balls are the best, aren’t they? Not only are they raw and full of health goodness but extremely easy to put together too. And their petite size makes them perfect for lunch boxes too.
We love to eat all kinds of fruits and dry fruits. Come winters, the dry fruits start to make a more regular appearance in our daily menus. And energy balls are the best way to combine more than one kind of dry fruit in a single serving. The inspiration for these healthy energy balls came from the 5-year-old who loves apricots and pistachios. Dried apricots have a somewhat sour taste which is complimented superbly by the nutty smoothness of pistachios. And since freshly desiccated coconut is always a great option in desserts and I happened to have some on hand, I added that too. You could also use packaged dried desiccated coconut.
I originally thought of flavouring the laddoos with rose, since pistachios and rose go so well together. But the citrusy flavours of apricots and freshness of orange zest seemed like a better idea. This is just a personal preference and you can go with your desired flavours – rose, lemon rind, coconut, or just plain vanilla would all work perfectly well. Add a tablespoon or two of honey or maple syrup for extra sweetness. I skipped this as the apricots were quite sweet. Store in a cool place in an airtight container and consume within a week.
For my other energy balls’ recipes do have a look at click here. Let me know in the comments which one is your favorite.
My Maiden YouTube Video Tutorial
This recipe is also super special as it is my maiden attempt to create a quick video tutorial. Nothing to be super proud of but you know how special maiden attempts are! I am so glad I finally overcame my inhibitions and created this video. Making it single-handedly with no assistance and just one camera and changing lenses intermittently to capture different angles took my patience to another level. It made me respect bloggers who churn out absolutely professional tutorials on a regular basis like a pro. Loads of lessons learned and all well worth the effort.
- Apricots, softened-2 cups (Soften the apricots by soaking in warm water for 30 mts and then draining them on a kitchen towel so as to absorb all the moisture)
- Unsalted pistachios-3/4 cup
- Shredded Coconut- 1 cup
- Orange Zest (or lemon zest)-1 tbsp
- Pure Vanilla extract-1/2 tsp
- Honey or Maple Syrup-1 tbsp or as per taste (optional)
- In a high speed blender (I used my nutribullet blend all ingredients till smooth. It is okay if the pistachios do not get completely powdered as it only adds texture and crunch to the balls
- Transfer to a plate and form into desired sized balls by rolling between your palms
- Store in an air tight container in a cool place and consume within a week
- If using dried shredded coconut , they will last slightly longer