Bliss balls or energy balls are not a novelty. There are all types and kinds, and yet there are so many new and variety of options possible.
Whenever I am rushed and want to fix a quick dessert which will keep well for a week, I make one or the other kind of energy balls. Some of our family favourites are coconut-dates, apricot-pistachio, and almond turmeric bliss balls. They are the perfect take-along quick snack and super filling and healthy too!
This time however I had some flaxseed meal at hand. Hard as it is to find it on the grocery aisle these days, I wanted to use them asap. The key ingredients that I used where:
- Almond Meal – I used the store-bought blanched almond meal but you can also make it at home in advance.
- Flaxseed Meal – Just blend a few cups of flaxseed in a blender to make this or just buy off the shelf.
- Pitted Medjool Dates- These are the soft variety of dates available easily in any supermarket. If for some reason you are unable to lay your hands on these, you can sue regular dates; soak the regular dates in some warm water for 20-30 minutes until they are soft. Then drain and blend.
- Pistachios – These again, I dry roasted them to bring out the nuttiness, then cooled and blended them to a powder.
I also added some freshly pounded black pepper and sea salt along with a tablespoon of pure vanilla extract for flavour.
Most bliss ball recipes involve throwing all the ingredients together into a high-speed blender and blending them all together. However, for this recipe, I blended each ingredient (apart from the already blended ones of course) separately and then brought them all together one last time before shaping them into desired sized balls.
- Almond Meal- 1 cup
- Flaxseed Meal- 1/4 cup
- Pistachios, toasted and powdered- 3/4 cup and some extra for coating the bliss balls
- Pitted Medjool Dates, coarsely chopped- 12-15
- Coarsely pounded black pepper- 1/2 tbsp
- Sea salt- 1 tsp
- Pure Vanilla Extract- 1tbsp
- Coconut oil to grease hands
- Dry roast the pistachios in a heavy bottomed pan on medium high flame for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously , then cool down and keep aside; blend to a fine powder once cool
- Blend the dates till they are smooth and clumpy
- To the above blender jar add almond, pistachio, flaxseed meals, black pepper, pure vanilla extract and blend one final time till combined; you would need to scrape the sides of the jar a few times
- Invert the contents into a bowl and using your clean hands give it one final mix , pressing the mixture between your fingers as you go
- Grease your hands with some coconut oil and form the mixture into desired sized balls
- Coat the balls with pistachio powder if desired
- Store in an airtight container in a cool and dry place and consume within a week