Move over meat burgers for the ultimate veggie burger is here- The Zuccoli Burger is all you want in your burger and more-loaded with zucchini and broccoli and flavored with delicious herbs . The patty even completes your vegan meal of daal and rice as a healthy side! What more can one ask for!
It is very rarely that a vegetarian dish is so well appreciated by the boys( do not even get me started on their carnivorous preferences) but this burger was such a welcome change. You could even make them in advance and freeze. Perfect for lunchbox too. Yes, the possibilities are limitless!
The critical step in this recipe is steaming the broccoli. Over steaming makes it too soft and mushy and the final blended mix almost semi-solid. So, be careful not to over steam. Bring water to boil, turn off heat, add a teaspoon of salt and add washed and cleaned broccoli florets to it. Let it sit in the water for 5-7 minutes then drain under cold running water to halt the cooking process. Then pat dry on a kitchen towel and blitz in a blender for just a few seconds to a coarse dry consistency
- Broccoli steamed and blended-1 cup
- Zucchini , grated and water squeezed out well- 1.5 cups
- Lime juice-1.5 teaspoons
- Mexican 4 cheese mix-1/2 cup
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tablespoon
- Bread crumbs-a little more than half cup to bind the patty well
- Raisins- 8-10 (optional)
- Chives or spring onions chopped fine- 2 tablespoons
- Rosemary sprigs or any herb of choice like coriander or Basil (chopped fine)-1 teaspoon (optional); if using latter two, use 2 teaspoons
- Green chilies chopped fine (optional)-2
- Salt-1.5 teaspoon or to taste
- Oil-2 tablespoon to shallow fry
- In a deep and wide bowl mix all ingredients well, form into palm sized patties and refrigerate for at least an hour
- Then in a wide thick bottomed pan, heat oil and shallow fry till nice and brown
- Enjoy hot as a side with rice and daal or in a burger!