Move over meat burgers for the ultimate veggie burger is here! The Zuccoli Burger is all you want in your burger and more.
It is very rare that a vegetarian dish is so well appreciated by my boys (do not even get me started on their carnivorous preferences) but this burger was such a welcome change. Loaded with zucchini and broccoli and flavored with delicious herbs, the patty can also be your vegan meal as a healthy side with daal and rice. You can make these zucchini and broccoli patties in advance and freeze them. They are perfect for the lunchbox too. Yes, the possibilities are limitless!
How To Get The Perfect Veggie Burger Patty
- The critical step in this recipe is steaming the broccoli. Over steaming makes it too soft and mushy and the final blended mix almost semi-solid. So, be careful not to over steam. Follow these steps to get it right.
- Bring water to boil and turn off the heat.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to the heated water.
- Now add your washed and cleaned broccoli florets to it.
- Let it sit in the water for 5-7 minutes before you drain it under cold running water. This latter part is important to halt the cooking process.
- Then pat dry the florets on a kitchen towel and blitz in a blender for just a few seconds to a coarse dry consistency.
Scroll down for the full recipe.
- Broccoli steamed and blended-1 cup
- Zucchini , grated and water squeezed out well- 1.5 cups
- Lime juice-1.5 teaspoons
- Mexican 4 cheese mix-1/2 cup
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tablespoon
- Bread crumbs-a little more than half cup to bind the patty well
- Raisins- 8-10 (optional)
- Chives or spring onions chopped fine- 2 tablespoons
- Rosemary sprigs or any herb of choice like coriander or Basil (chopped fine)-1 teaspoon (optional); if using latter two, use 2 teaspoons
- Green chilies chopped fine (optional)-2
- Salt-1.5 teaspoon or to taste
- Oil-2 tablespoon to shallow fry
- In a deep and wide bowl mix all ingredients well, form into palm sized patties and refrigerate for at least an hour
- Then in a wide thick bottomed pan, heat oil and shallow fry till nice and brown
- Enjoy hot as a side with rice and daal or in a burger!