Summer and its bounties are plentiful, more so the fruits and hence the fruit pudding.
With all the fruits available in summer, I believe it is Mother Nature trying to tell us to stay hydrated and cool. I always try and eat seasonally available fruits as much as I can. It is definitely easier said than done. Plenty of my favorite winter produce is available all year round – usually imported from down under, where it is winter during our summer.
Staying true to my “I eat only seasonal fruits” belief, come summer, I make sure to totally go overboard with fruits like mango and lychees. This time around, I was pleasantly surprised to see my other summer favorite, custard apples at the market. Definitely not the season for them, but I just couldn’t resist picking one (sorry! guilty as charged 🙁 ).
With two of my favorite summer fruits on hand, a delicious concoction was in order and thus this custard apple and mango with basil seeds fruit pudding came to be. Quick tip. Try and include as much basil (sabja) seeds as possible in your diet this summer. They are great coolants and superb for digestion and weight loss. Follow the steps below in this simple recipe and enjoy this delicious pudding.
- Mango (medium sized Alphonso/Langda. I used latter)- 1
- Custard Apple (medium sized, seeds removed)-1
- Coconut milk (I used Kara brand)- 2 tablespoons
- Sabja (basil) seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Honey or brown sugar (optional if the fruits are already very sweet)- 2 teaspoons
- Blend the mango pulp and 1 tablespoon coconut milk (and 1 teaspoon sugar or honey if using).Add half teaspoon sabja seeds, mix well and set aside
- Blend the custard apple and the remaining coconut milk (and 1 teaspoon sugar or honey if using). Add half teaspoon sabja seeds and mix well and set aside
- Pour the custard apple mixture followed by mango mixture into a tall glass
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours before serving. This gives time for the layers to form well and sabja seeds to swell up imparting a distinct crunchiness to the pudding
Calories (per serving)- 60 Nutrition- Vitamins C, A, B6/ Potassium/Magnesium/Copper/Fiber It does wonders for your- Hair/Eyes/Heart/Skin/Immunity/Digestion This is “My 8am/10am/3 pm Meal”