Do you like Broccoli? Well, I don’t! Growing up in India, I had never tasted cauliflower’s green cousin. There is no broccoli curry one grows up eating. And to be honest, if it was not for innumerable health benefits of broccoli I would happily keep our relationship extremely platonic.
But I like a good challenge and what better challenge than making yourself like (and eat) something you almost detest. So, I decided to give our “videshi” broccoli a “desi” twist with this roasted tomatoes and panch foran based broccoli curry and it changed everything! The smoked tanginess of roasted tomatoes is just the thing to balance the blandness of broccoli and the panch foran tempering just gives it another dimension.
The fussy eaters loved it too 😉 ! But you know what’s the best part? This broccoli curry was cooked with just two teaspoonfuls of oil. Try it for yourself and you are sure to convert from a “brocc-hater” to a “brocc-eater”…OK! Sorry about that terrible joke. But trust me, my recipes aren’t as bad as my jokes. Do give them a chance 🙂 Scroll down for the detailed recipe.
You may also like my recipe for Zucchini Broccoli Burgers. Definitely check it out and let me know which broccoli recipe is your favorite in the comments below.
- Broccoli- 250gm
- Medium sized tomatoes- 2
- Medium sized potato (cubed)- 1
- Garlic- 8 pods finely chopped
- Panchforan- 2 teaspoons
- Salt-1.5 teaspoons
- Green chilli- 2
- Turmeric- 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil- 2 teaspoons
- Blanch the broccoli with half teaspoon salt and strain
- Dry roast the tomatoes in the oven (at 180 degrees for 20 minutes) or on stove top in an iron skillet. Cool and make a paste in a blender
- Heat oil in a wok, add panchforan till it starts to splutter, add garlic and sauté until fragrant
- Add tomato paste, turmeric and salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes
- Add potatoes and cook until soft
- Add blanched broccoli, green chilies, salt and half cup water and mix well. Cover and cook on medium heat for ten minutes
- Serve hot with steamed basmati rice.
Calories (per portion)- 125 Nutrition-Protein punch/Fiber/Iron/Folate/Vitamin C It does wonders for your- Immunity/Muscles/Gut/Eyes/Heart/Cholesterol levels This is “My 8 pm Meal”