As winters approach and spinach season arrives, I cannot help but include tons of recipes with these wonderful greens in our daily menu. This Spinach and Tofu Stir Fry is a simple, quick recipe to prepare for your family.
Thankfully the kids love spinach in all forms – especially when served with paneer or tofu. Paalak paneer (cottage cheese in spinach gravy) is a family favourite and is on a repeat at least once a week throughout winter (yup! we take our spinach very seriously). We also do a spinach stir fry with our special five-spice mix (panchforan) and that gave me an idea to come up with this new recipe.
Tofu is a great source of vegetarian protein and while some of us aren’t the biggest fans of the soft variety, I am yet to meet someone who says no to the stiffer chewy kind. And that’s the kind which works best in this recipe. You could use it as is or stir fry in a teaspoon of oil to enhance flavours. This dish is best enjoyed with hot phulkas and daal but tastes as good with rice too.
Step By Step Spinach and Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
1. Wash, drain and finely chop the spinach and keep aside. Then cut tofu in desired size pieces, lightly stir fry and drain on a kitchen towel
2. Then in the same pan or skillet add oil. To the hot oil add finely chopped garlic, turmeric, and panchforan. Once the spices start to splutter, add spinach and cook covered until almost done. Then uncover and make sure the water dried out 95% before adding tofu and salt. At this point, you could also add green chilies if using
3. Once the spinach is cooked and the water has dried, add tofu and mix well. Next, add chopped tomatoes and let it simmer for another 5 minutes till the tomatoes are soft and mushy. Taste for salt. Garnish with crushed peanuts and serve hot with rice and daal or phulkas.
- Spinach, finely chopped- 3 cups
- Hard Tofu cut in desired size pieces-1 cup
- Garlic, finely chopped- 1.5 teaspoons
- Tomatoes, chopped- 1/2 cup
- Panchforan- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric -1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilies-2 (optional)
- Mustard oil-1.5 teaspoon
- Salt-1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Crushed peanuts for garnish-2 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed skillet and stir fry tofu till light brown; drain excess oil on a kitchen towel and keep aside
- To the same pan, add panchforan, garlic and turmeric and stir till the spices start to crackle. Be careful to not burn them or it would make the dish bitter
- Add spinach,cover and cook till almost done; Then uncover and dry out the water discharged
- Add tofu,tomatoes,salt ,mix well and simmer for another 2-3 minutes till tomatoes are soft and mushy
- Turn off heat, garnish with crushed peanuts and serve with hot phulkas or daal and rice
Spinach-Tofu with Peanut Powder Chutney – OneWholesomeMeal Ideally I like to start my posts with something positively philosophical or interestingly funny. Today' s post however is neither, because if I can be truly honest with you, after moreAugust 23, 2020 at 10:52 pm
[…] have another saag-tofu recipe on the blog and this one is a spin off on the same, except its much spicier thanks to the […]
Tangy Spiced Tofu Bites: Hot Or Cold, Your Choice – OneWholesomeMealSeptember 14, 2020 at 10:42 am
[…] down to read the full detailed recipe. For another Tofu recipe with Indian spices, try the Spinach and Tofu Stir Fry With Panchforan. Let me know which one you liked […]