I had no idea that it is #worldveganday today but just like so many weird coincidences happen in my life, I decided to make this vegan spinach-corn mix vegetable as a variation/twist on the traditional Methi Malai Matar which is basically fresh fenugreek leaves cooked with green peas in a creamy white sauce. I swapped fenugreek with baby spinach, added fresh sweet corn and peas and cooked it in a tomato-coconut milk sauce with a generous dose of garlic, basil and oregano. And guess what we paired it with for lunch? Hot wholewheat parathas stuffed with Sattu or toasted gram flour. A perfect comfort meal for nippy afternoons. And the kids devoured it and I have the perfect recipe for world vegan day too. Doesn’t it feel good when things just fall into place sometimes, making all the hard work worthwhile?
Here is a quick 15 minute recipe once again for you from yours truly.
- Baby spinach or normal spinach- 250 gm
- Fresh sweet corn-1/2 cup
- Frozen or fresh green peas-1/2 cup
- Garlic, minced- 4 pods
- Tomato, chopped fine-1
- Coconut milk/cream or whipping cream-100 ml
- Dried Basil - ¼ teaspoon (or you could use a few leaves of freshly chopped fresh basil)
- Oregano- ¼ teaspoon
- Salt-1 teaspoon or to taste
- Oil-1 tablespoon
- In a heavy bottomed pan heat oil and once hot, add garlic and herbs and stir for half a minute until the herbs start to release their fragrance
- Add tomatoes and on medium-high heat stir until they are soft and mushy
- Stir in the spinach, corn and peas and mix well. If using normal spinach you would need to blanch it until soft, drain and then add the blanched leaves into the mixture. Cover, reduce the heat to medium and cook until all the veggies are soft.
- Uncover and stir in the cream, salt and give it a final mix before letting it simmer for another 5 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of hot water if the mixture seems too thick and adjust the salt
- Turn off the heat and serve hot with a side of rice, roti or parathas
Calories (per serving)- 150 Nutrition- Fiber/Vitamin A, C, E, B1, B3, B5, B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Iron, Protein It does wonders for your-Muscles/Hair/Quality of sleep/Immunity/Anemia/Bones/Gut This is “My 1pm/8pm Meal