The best kinds of recipes are born in times of desperation, don’t you agree? These little jalapeño poppers were born on one such day.
When there are barely any ingredients in the refrigerator and yet growling bellies need to be stuffed, one can begin to get very creative. After all, necessity is the mother of all invention – to satiate my hunger was the necessity and these roasted jalapeño poppers were my creative invention.
I threw in pretty much everything that I had in the fridge – eggs, feta cheese (Mexican cheese works well too), baby corn, onions, tomatoes, and even raisins. Boy oh boy were the results impressive! The jalapeños are stuffed with veggies and a lot of cheese. You are free to experiment with the veggies and cheese. This is another proof that yummy meals do not have to be tedious and indulgent always. Please note that you will need an oven for this preparation.
The poppers make for a great snack. Furthermore, I am quite confident a wine connoisseur might even appreciate these as nibbles with his Merlot. Try it at your next dinner party. Let me know how your guests liked it in the comments section below. Scroll down for the full recipe.
- Jalapeno peppers, sectioned vertically- 10 (wear gloves while handling jalapenos to avoid stinging)
- Eggs, medium sized- 2
- Baby corn, chopped coarsely- 6
- Onions, medium sized, chopped fine-1
- Tomato, medium sized, chopped fine-1
- Raisins or sultanas - 2 teaspoons
- Feta cheese, crumbled- 3 tablespoons or as required
- Salt-1 teaspoon (adjust to taste as Feta is a salty cheese)
- Oil-2.5 tablespoons
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees centigrade; line a baking dish with foil and keep aside
- Heat 1-tablespoon oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Turn the heat to medium-high and add onions
- Stir until the onions are translucent and add tomatoes
- Stir for another minute and break the eggs into the pan stirring continuously like making scrambled eggs
- Add baby corn, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the baby corn is 80% done
- Add salt and mix well
- Turn off the heat and keep aside
- With a brush smear some oil both on the inside and outside of the peppers. This helps in even grilling
- Spoon in the prepared mixture into the peppers, top with crumbled feta and grill at 200 degrees for around 20 minutes or until the edges of the jalapenos start to soften
Calories (per serving)- 60 Nutrition- Fiber/ Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C, K It does wonders for your- Gut/Headaches/Arthritis/Sinus Infection This is “My 3pm/8pm Meal”