The battle to get nutrition into the kids is a constant. And it doesn’t help when mummy herself gets bored of the same old porridge and grilled chicken.
I am always looking for quick-fix meals for the kids, which do not require me to spend hours in the kitchen. And at the same time are also healthy and full of flavors. Yes, we all want everything – easy to make, healthy, and tasty. Sometimes, you manage to find that perfect balance with a recipe.
So I am happy to say, this crunchy minced chicken wrap comes close. This is a low carb family meal which is great for dinner. You can serve it with a side of rice or grilled potatoes for the children. If you do not have purple cabbage at hand, you could easily replace it. Try it with lettuce or regular cabbage. If you don’t mind the carbs, then even whole wheat bread or roti work. I however recommend the veggie wrap as the freshness and crunch add to the flavor. Scroll down for the full recipe.
Let me know how you like to have your minced chicken wrap – with a carb wrap or a crunchy veggie wrap.
- Minced chicken breasts or thighs- 250gm
- Purple cabbage or lettuce (individual leaves peeled and separated)- 10-12 or as desired
- Medium onion finely chopped-1
- Medium tomato finely chopped-1
- Coriander powder-1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin powder-1/4 teaspoon
- Garam Masala-1.5 teaspoon
- Whole cumin for tempering-1 teaspoon
- Ginger-garlic paste-2 tablespoons
- Curry leaves-6-8
- Amchoor powder-1/2 teaspoon (can swap with 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice for a mild tangy flavor)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder- ½ teaspoon or as per taste (optional)
- Green chilies chopped fine-2 (optional)
- Chopped coriander- 2 tablespoons
- Lime juice, freshly squeezed- 2 tablespoons
- Salt-1 teaspoon or as per taste+1/2 teaspoon
- Oil- 2 tablespoons
- Mix 2 tablespoons lime juice with ½ teaspoon salt, stir well, cover and keep aside
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok, add cumin seeds and curry leaves until they start to splutter
- Reduce the heat to medium and add cumin and red chili powder followed by ginger-garlic paste. Sauté well for 2 minutes and add chopped onions. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes till the onions are translucent, add tomatoes followed by coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and amchoor powder. Mix well and cook the mixture well on medium heat until you see oil oozing out. This is an indication that the spices have blended well and imparted maximum flavor
- Add minced chicken and mix well with the spice mixture followed by green chilies and cook uncovered till the meat is almost tender, add salt, mix well and cook for another 5-7 minutes. It is important to cook the meat uncovered to retain maximum flavor
- Garnish with coriander and set aside
- Brush the cabbage/lettuce leaves with the salt and lime mixture, spoon the cooked chicken mixture into individual leaves, wrap and serve with a spicy peanut dip (see here for a peanut dipping sauce recipe- http://allrecipes.com/recipe/219000/spicy-peanut-dipping-sauce/)
Calories (per serving)- 50 Nutrition- Fiber/Protein/Vitamin C/B1/B6/K/Phytonutrients/Calcium/Iron/Phosphorous/Magnesium/Antioxidants It does wonders for your- Muscles/Gut/Immunity/Heart/Blood Cholesterol/Inflammations/Bone/Sleep This is “My 8 pm Meal”