Jack of all…! Whoever came up with this phrase had definitely not been introduced to jackfruit or better jackfruit lassi.
Many brush this fruit aside for its supposed high amount of cholesterol and strong taste. Well! The taste takes some getting used to. But let me tell you that the jackfruit is a superfood. You can eat it in various forms (ripe, raw, and even the roots and seeds) and it is exploding with nutritional goodness. To motivate you to get used to the taste, have a look at the below benefits.
- 80% water content and high fibre make it a great summer and detox (and even hangover ;)) food
- high in vitamin C, making it a great antioxidant
- highly recommended for cardiovascular issues
It doesn’t travel thousands of kilometers to reach your plate (like its expensive cousin’s chia and acai). Above all, it is pocket friendly and reduces your carbon footprint, thus making Earth a cleaner and safer planet for our children.
The jackfruit lassi is a combination of 2 main ingredients, jackfruit (as the name suggests) and yogurt, to make the perfect summer drink. Lassi for those of you who are not familiar is a popular yogurt-based drink from the Indian subcontinent. You can make them salty, spicy, or sweet. The jackfruit lassi is a sweet variation of this drink. Remember, it is best enjoyed when served chill. This drink does wonders with your skin, bowels, immunity, sleep quality, and metabolism.
- Jackfruit pulp, peeled and pitted- 1 cup
- Yogurt-1 cup
- Water -1/2 cup
- Sugar (I used palm sugar or you can exclude it totally)or Honey- 2 teaspoons
- Saffron-4 strands
- Cardamom powder-1/4 teaspoon
- Almonds -4
- Ice to serve
- Chop the jackfruit pulp into medium sized cubes and blend it for a few seconds just enough to not make a paste
- Whisk the yogurt with sugar (or honey if using) with a wire whisk
- Add to the blender with jackfruit, water, saffron strands, cardamom powder, almonds and pistachios and blend until frothy
- Garnish with chopped nuts, add ice cubes and serve chilled
Calories per glass of jackfruit shake- 130> Nutrition- Good fat/High fiber/ Protein punch It does wonders for your-Skin, Bowels, Immunity, Quality of sleep, Metabolism This is “My 3 pm Meal”