Like the Greeks, this Greek Salad recipe comes with a story as well.
Finally, it is Friday and what a week it has been! At the end of weeks like these, I look back in surprise. If one plans ahead, so much can be accomplished in 24 hours. And then I also look further back in equal surprise. At the start of the week, was it the same me who on days just mopes and complains about the littlest of things and just doesn’t get anything done!
I have slowly begun to realize the days of not getting anything done are the ones that are responsible for extremely productive days. Just remember it is:
- Okay to completely feel useless and totally unproductive on certain days.
- All right to forgive ourselves for not getting even the basic stuff done.
- Good to sleep a few hours extra or indulge in the luxury of doing absolutely nothing.
- Fine to fail and fail all over again and still not be able to figure where you went wrong.
- Okay to be human. It most definitely is.
And I will tell you why I am going on and on about it.
As always I had set expectations from self a bit too high. I was to try a completely different Greek salad recipe for my Friday post. And as always I had also packed 50 other things in my day today. And as expected I was left with very little time to try the new recipe, photograph it and post it on the blog today. 50 deep breaths and a lot of self pep talk later I decided to give this simple and yet amazingly flavourful recipe a shot. And I am so happy that I did.
At The End of A Busy Week, This Greek Salad Will Cheer You Up.
So, here I am sharing it with you. I adapted it from the August issue of BBC Good Food Magazine with minor adjustments. Like I replaced sugar with honey and added fresh figs because I had them at hand. Happy to report that I am very very happy with the way it turned out. It is a great light summer meal in itself if you add some greens or even good as a side dish.
I am hoping to bring you some more amazing Greek recipes this month and also have a giveaway coming up so do stay tuned. Follow me on Instagram and Facebook and turn on notifications for new posts. This salad will not disappoint you.
- White Wine Vinegar or Mirin-1.5 tablespoon
- Honey-1 tablespoon
- Chilli Flakes- 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt-1/2 teaspoon
- Blanched Hazelnuts-50gms
- Mint-2 tablespoons
- Halloumi Cheese-200gms
- Cut cucumber into chunky half-moons, scrape out the core and set aside
- In a medium sized bowl add vinegar, honey, chilli flakes and salt, mix well and add cucumber to it and set aside to pickle for 10-15minutes
- Chop the figs into chunky cubes
- Blanch the hazelnuts and then toast them in a dry pan and set aside
- Once the hazelnuts have cooled off, chop them coarsely along with mint leaves and set aside
- Slice the cheese into approximately 1cm this slices and shallow fry in a non stick pan until both sides are crisp
- Mix all ingredients except figs and halloumi together and drizzle the remainder of the vinegary dressing on top
- Then add the halloumi and figs and enjoy