We have been away from home on a vacation. And most times, I need a vacation after one. So I put together a simple curry in a wrap – chicken bharta wrap.
Traveling is great but coming back to the comfort of your home and routine? Nothing compares. Or maybe I am an old soul trapped in a 35-year-old’s body 🤪 . Anyway, this is the longest I have been away from home and home food. And surprisingly enough I kind of de-stressed putting this simple meal of chicken bharta wrap together.
As I jokingly mentioned to my mother on the phone, while the kids kept themselves busy in their room, that this felt like a vacation after the past two weeks of being on the road! I am sure the chores will soon start weighing me down and the need to run away from it all would become pressing again but until then I am going to savor this comforting feeling of familiarity and routine. Coming back to the wrap, I adapted the recipe for Chicken Bharta from Sukanya’s blog and modified it a bit to suit the wrap style.
I used corn tortillas for the wrap. For the filling, along with the chicken bartha, I added chopped lettuce, shredded pepper jack cheese, chili flakes and coriander for garnish. And that’s it! It was a very satisfying quick meal.
- Boneless chicken breast - 500 gm
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Onions (big, sliced) - 2
- Turmeric powder-½ tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Deghi mirch (red chilli) powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala - ¼ tsp
- Egg yolk - 2 mashed
- Cashew paste - 2 -3 tbsp
- Yogurt - 3-4 tbsp
- Tomato puree - 1-2 tbsp
- Salt- To taste
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Butter- one knob
- Cilantro chopped - 3 tbsp
- Kasuri methi - 2-3 tsp
- Boiled egg whites to garnish
- Lettuce-1 cup chopped coarsely or larger if desired
- Mexican Pepper Jack Cheese, freshly grated-1.5 cups
- Chilli flakes-1 tsp or as per taste
- Store bought corn tortillas-4-6
- Wash and clean the chicken breast thoroughly. Heat enough salted water in a pan and add the chicken breast to it. Poach it or cook till done. Check for the rawness and continue cooking till the chicken is poached thoroughly
- While the chicken is still hot, pull out into long thin shreds using two forks
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and fry the sliced onions till golden in color. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté
- Add the spices like turmeric powder, cumin, coriander, red chilli powder and fry thr spices till the rawness disappears
- Now add the shredded chicken and mix it well on medium heat till the chicken is well coated with the spices
- In a separate bowl mix yogurt, cashew paste and garam masala.
- Lower the heat and add the above mixture to the chicken. Cook on low heat till the oil starts leaving the sides of the pan
- Add the tomato puree and continue cooking on low heat
- Check for the seasonings, by this time shredded chicken pieces should be well incorporated with the spice mixture
- Cover the pan and cook for five more minutes
- When it is done, add the mashed egg yolk, butter, finely chopped cilantro and kasuri methi. The bharta should be of a relatively drier consistency
- Garnish with sliced hard boiled egg whites
- Place 1-2 spoonfuls of the bharta in the centre of the flat corn tortilla, top it with lettuce, grated cheese, chopped coriander and chilli flakes, wrap it and enjoy