For a change a have a recipe fronot my childhood, but my husband’s. I did not grow up eating this caramel custard pudding but it’s my husband’s favorite.
When I finally tried my mother-in-law’s recipe and shared it on my Instagram feed, so many friends shared how it reminded them of their childhood. Delighted that my wee ones love it too. There are many exotic names out there for this simple yet yummiest of desserts but I am just going to call it Caramel Custard Pudding. That is how I know it since I first learned the recipe. Anyway, what’s in a name right?
A Few Things To Keep In Mind
Although the recipe itself is a pretty simple one, one needs to be careful about a few things. Making the caramel for example. Read here the technique to caramelise the sugar. Once it has reached the right consistency, add some water so it is pourable. Be very careful while you do this as hot caramel splutters.
The other step which needs caution is steaming. If using a pressure cooker, add approximately 1.5 cups of water, then place a slightly elevated but flat pan inside the cooker (I used an inverted sieve). This would serve as a platform to place the dishes. See image below:
This not only ensures even distribution of heat but also prevents water from entering the bowls while steaming . Then bring water to boil, place the dishes inside and put the lid on without the whistle. Then steam for 15-20 minutes
Once these two steps are sorted , you will have a delicious caramel custard in no time.
- Sugar-5 tbsp and 3.5 tbsp
- Water-1.5 tbsp
- Hot water- 2 tbsp
- Milk- 2.5 cup
- Chopped nuts- 1.5 tbsp
- Chopped raisins (optional)- 1 tsp
- Pure Vanilla extract-1 tbsp
- Butter-1 tbsp for greasing
- Grease the insides of serving dishes with butter and keep aside
- Mix 5 tbsp sugar and 1.5 tbsp water and heat in a pan on medium-high heat till bubbles start to form, then gently swirl the mixture
- When the mixture turns golden brown, working quickly but carefully remove from heat and then add 2 tbsp hot water( keeping the bowl away from your body) and give it one last swirl before pouring out the caramel into prepared serving dish/es pouring evenly and equally
- To prepare the pudding mix, crack and gently beat eggs, add vanilla extract and keep aside
- Heat milk in a pot and add 3.5 tbsp sugar and whisk till the sugar dissolves , then let it come down to just a tad warmer than room temperature and add it to the egg mixture, whisk gently to mix well and add chopped raisins and nuts
- Pour into prepared serving dishes, cover them with foil and steam for 15 minutes in a vessel deep enough to prepare a water bath
- After 15 minutes gently remove the dish/es out of the steamer and carefully invert them on a flat plate, refrigerate for at least an hour, garnish with chopped nuts and serve chilled.