The humble daliya (wheat grits) gets a makeover. As much as I love Indian food , I am always looking for quick ways to fix a meal . This baked dish in béchamel sauce is just that- your one pot meal with all the nutritional goodness combined. And a spicy masala omelette layer is just enough to add that desi tadka which I crave in all my meals.
- Wheat grits/daliya- 1 cup
- Onion-one small
- Green chillis-3
- Chopped Coriander- 2 tablespoons
- Mild cheddar cheese- ½ cup
- Mushrooms- ½ cup, sliced
- Red and yellow bell peppers- ½ cup each
- Finely chopped Spring onions(for garnish)- 2 tablespoons
- Salt/Pepper- To taste
- For Béchamel sauce (for 3 cups):
- Butter- 5 tablespoons
- All purpose flour- 4 tablespoons
- Milk (can use low fat but full fat works best)-4 cups
- Salt- 2 teaspoons
- Freshly grated nutmeg- ½ teaspoon
- For the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted
- Add the flour and keep stirring until smooth.
- Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden yellow color, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a separate pan until just about to boil. Add the hot milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth.
- Bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat. Season with salt and nutmeg, and set aside until ready to use
- For the baked dish:
- Pressure cook the wheat grits with 1.5 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt until soft and set aside
- Crack the eggs in a bowl, add the chopped onions, green chili, coriander and a pinch of salt and mix with a wire whisk for a minute
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius, transfer the egg mixture into a baking tray, cover it with foil and bake for 15 minutes until set
- In the meantime sauté the mushrooms in some butter with salt and pepper until soft
- When the egg layer is ready, evenly spread the wheat grits on top, followed by bell peppers, mushroom, béchamel sauce and cheddar cheese
- Bake at 170 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes
- Garnish with spring onions and serve hot
Calories per portion- 150 Nutrition- Good fat/ Protein punch/ Vitamins B, C, D, E/ Phosphorous/Carotenoids It does wonders for your- Skin/Hair/Immunity/Eyesight/Diabetes/Heart/Blood/Bones/Weight Management and Satiety This is “My 1pm Meal”