I have a love-hate relationship with Oats. I love to hate it! But there are people in La Familia who like it and couldn’t stop raving about it after they tried the Ready to Eat Masala Oats version from a popular Indian brand. Oat-hater me hesitatingly and grudgingly accepted it was quite delicious indeed. Now, a more sensible version of me would have just simply ordered the regular stock from my Indian grocer’s and be happy with it. However, I am neither simple nor sensible and do like a good challenge. So, I did the unthinkable ! I tried to develop my very own version minus the not so great stuff which these ready to eat versions have!
Now, I have never cooked oats in my life (yes, no kidding!), so it did take me a few attempts to perfect this recipe. But once that was done, I was pretty chuffed with myself. I cannot call myself Oats-hater anymore, maybe a grudging lover.
I have used chicken stock here and have to admit that it is one ingredient that imparts the maximum amount of flavour. If you are a vegan/vegetarian feel free to sub it with vegetable stock but try not to use water . Pretty please! Also, I skipped salt as both cheese and stock were salted enough, so feel free to add salt as per taste and the stock used.
I used the old fashioned rolled oats. You can use steel-cut or instant versions without much effect on the taste. You might need to adjust the amount of liquid to be added and the cooking time would differ as well. Watch this informative video to find out the difference between steel cut, rolled and instant oats.
Try this recipe for yourself and don’t forget to share how you like it!
YOUTUBE LINK for video recipe
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats- 1 cup
- Chicken or Vegetable Stock-2 cups
- Chopped onions-1/2 cup
- Minced garlic- 1 tbsp
- Chopped and blanched veggies of choice-1 cup (I used carrots, orange bell peppers, cauliflower and green peas)
- Stir-fried tofu cubes -1/2 cup (optional)
- Garam Masala-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1tsp
- Spring Onions, chopped fine- 3 tbsp for garnish
- Grated Cheddar and Pepper Jack Cheese-1/2 cup
- Butter-2 tbsp+1 tbsp
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a pan and roast the Oats till just brown.Keep the flame low all the time and e careful not to over roast
- Transfer and keep aside and in the same pan melt the remaining butter and add garlic and cook till brown followed by chopped onions. Keeping the flame to medium-low fry the onions till nice and brown
- Add butter-roasted oats, chicken/veg stock,turmeric powder, garam masala and mix well. Cook covered for a minute till the oats are almost done
- Add blanched veggies and tofu and mix well
- Add shredded cheese, mix, taste for salt and add salt if needed
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot!