Finally it is Friday and what a week it has been! At the end of weeks like these I look back in surprise as to how much can be accomplished in 24 hours if one plans ahead; and I also look further back in equal surprise that was it the same me who on days just mopes around complaining about the littlest of things and just doesn’t get anything done!
I have slowly begun to realise the days of not getting anything done are the ones which are responsible for extremely productive days and it is okay to completely feel useless and totally unproductive on certain days. It is okay to forgive ourselves for not getting even the basic stuff done, it is okay to sleep a few hours extra or indulge in the luxury of doing absolutely nothing, it is ok to fail and fail all over again and still not be able to figure where you went wrong. It is okay to be human. It most definitely is. And I will tell you why I am going on and on about it.
As always I had set expectations from self a bit too high and aimed at trying a completely different Greek recipe for my Friday post. And as always I had also packed 50 other things in my day today. And as expected I was left with very little time to try the new recipe, photograph it and post it on the blog today. 50 deep breaths and a lot of self pep talk later I decided to give this simple and yet amazingly flavourful recipe a shot. And I am so happy that I did. So, here I am sharing it with you. I adapted it from the August issue of BBC Good Food Magazine with minor adjustments-replaced sugar with honey and added fresh figs because I had them at hand. And I am very very happy with the way it turned out. It is a great light summer meal in itself if you add some greens or even good as a side.
I am hoping to bring you some more amazing Greek recipes this month and also have a give-away coming up so do stay tuned, follow me on Instagram and Facebook and turn on notifications for new posts. You will not be disappointed.
- White Wine Vinegar or Mirin-1.5 tablespoon
- Honey-1 tablespoon
- Chilli Flakes- 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt-1/2 teaspoon
- Blanched Hazelnuts-50gms
- Mint-2 tablespoons
- Halloumi Cheese-200gms
- Cut cucumber into chunky half-moons, scrape out the core and set aside
- In a medium sized bowl add vinegar, honey, chilli flakes and salt, mix well and add cucumber to it and set aside to pickle for 10-15minutes
- Chop the figs into chunky cubes
- Blanch the hazelnuts and then toast them in a dry pan and set aside
- Once the hazelnuts have cooled off, chop them coarsely along with mint leaves and set aside
- Slice the cheese into approximately 1cm this slices and shallow fry in a non stick pan until both sides are crisp
- Mix all ingredients except figs and halloumi together and drizzle the remainder of the vinegary dressing on top
- Then add the halloumi and figs and enjoy