Remember the vegan take on Methi Malai Matar? Well, today I bring to you the chicken version.
The thing, I loved that dish and I just couldn’t have enough of it. I know, I know I am tooting my own horn, but once in a while isn’t that okay? Coming back to the dish I loved ;-), I decided to try to “put some meat in it” this time. While the veg version continues to remain my favorite, the rest of the clan preferred and very quickly took to this version.
Try this simple Chicken in Creamy Coconut-Tomato Sauce recipe. With just a few spices, it gives your usual chicken curry an uplift. I am sure your family will enjoy this variation and you will too!
- Chicken drumsticks or thigh, skin removed- 400 gms (if using thigh portion, cut the meat into desired size pieces)
- Garlic, minced- 6 pods
- Tomato, chopped fine-2
- Coconut milk/cream or whipping cream-200 ml
- Fresh or Dried Basil – 6-8 leaves or ½ teaspoon
- Oregano- 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves- 6-8 pieces
- Butter-1/2 tablespoon to shallow fry the chicken
- Salt-1 teaspoon or to taste+ ½ teaspoon
- Pepper-1/2 teaspoon
- Oil-1 tablespoon
- In a heavy bottomed pan heat butter. Once the butter is hot reduce heat to medium-high and add the chicken pieces. Add ½ teaspoon salt and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes until the meat is light golden brown and 80% cooked. Turn off the heat and place the pieces on a paper towel to absorb excess butter
- In the same pan add 1-tablespoon oil and add curry leaves and minced garlic when the oil is hot. Stir on medium-high heat for around 2 minutes until the curry leaves and garlic are fragrant, then reduce heat to medium and add tomatoes
- Cook, stirring intermittently until the tomatoes are soft, then add oregano and basil. Mix well and stir in the coconut cream
- Give it one final mix, bring to boil on high flame, then reduce heat, cover and simmer till the chicken pieces are cooked through. If the mixture starts to get thick, you could add some hot water
Calories (per serving/per drumstick)- 150 Nutrition- Good fat/ Protein punch/Vitamin C It did wonders for your-Heart, Skin, Hair, Bowels, Immunity This is “My 1pm Meal