If there is one lentil which is incredibly versatile and incredibly nutritious, it has to be the green moong bean. There are umpteen number of delicious recipes, both raw and cooked which can be created with this wonder. If you are a vegetarian then you do not need me to tell you to stock up on your moong bean supply.
This baked patty recipe came to be because I had some leftover daal from lunch and being a true blue Indian that I am, I *do not waste food*; So, these crispy patties or wadas happened-perfect tea time snack for me and sprinkled with some cheddar cheese,side of tomatoes and served with buns, they made for a delicious dinner for the kids.
- Green Moong (soaked overnight) – 1 cup
- Binding agent (fresh bread crumbs/flax meal/corn meal/gram flour)-1 cup
- Onion-small, chopped fine
- Red and yellow bell peppers- half each, chopped fine
- Coriander powder- ½ teaspoon
- Garam masala/curry powder- 1 teaspoon
- Amchur(dried mango) powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder- ½ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder (can be omitted)- ¼ teaspoon
- Chopped coriander-1/2 cup
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tablespoon
- Rock Salt/Himalayan salt- 1.5 teaspoon or to taste
- Oil-2 tablespoons
- Boil the green moong in a pressure cooker or covered pot until soft
- Mash with a potato masher and let it cool to room temperature
- Add all the ingredients, adding the binding agent last and mix well. Check the consistency of the mixture by forming palm-sized discs. If the mixture seems slightly wet, do not worry, it will dry up during baking.
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with foil and brush some oil all over. Make palm-sized discs, half inch in thickness and place on the tray. Brush or drizzle some oil on the patties.
- Bake for 30 minutes (baking time may vary depending on the oven, so check the status after 15 minutes) flipping the patties over halfway through for even baking.
- Serve hot with any dip of your choice or make into a veggie burger with cheese, lettuce and tomatoes.
Calories per patty- 40 Nutrition- Good fat/High fibre/ Protein punch/Low carb/Vitamins (B1, B6 and C)/Minerals (Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese) It does wonders for your-Cholesterol, Blood Pressure, Immunity, Sleep quality, Bowels This is “My 3pm/8pm Meal”